Tuesday, April 8, 2014

aaand welcome to April

So, I really shouldn't post tonight. So I won't post a long thing. I'm going to post about me. so this'll be this weird kind of cross between "get to know you" [no really] & "an interview in mono". Yep, I'm still me. 
So I might have a very interesting weekend later this month. Making tentative plans to go to Grand Canyon of Pa. one day, & Rickett's Glen the next. Now, I love to hike, take photos, & hang with friends. So this should be heaven. Assuming it doesn't rain. [yes, I DO have a plan "b". Thank you for asking]
Since I planned to "talk about me" this month this'll be the "no brainer" section. 
I started out with country music, classical, & gospel. Some Johnny Cash [Dad used to love him.  I think Dad sings in a similar register. NEVER tell him this. If you get to hear him sing...just be quiet & enjoy.] In Middle school & got to hear rock for the first time. This would be the moment that I first heard guitars, glorious electric guitars. I would NEVER be the same ever again. I didn't know what made those sounds... I just KNEW I HAD to learn to play whatever made that sound. Eventually I did. Six strings, twelve strings, I do not care. Electric, acoustic I just love guitars. I always will. I have a playlist [& an mp3 disc in my car] "When guitars ruled the Earth". Gary Hoey, Steve Howe, Christopher Parkening, Andres Segovia, Phil Keaggy, Brad Paisley, Robert Randolph, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani, Tuck Andress, Ty Tabor, Omar Rodríguez-López, ...the list goes ever onward. So Guitar is my number one instrument. Though not the first instrument I learned to play. Nor the only one I'd play around with. 
The first instrument I learned to play was the trumpet. Didn't see that one coming did you? My lips split, really bad. I also discovered that I had a really bad habit of biting/picking at my chapped lips. So I soon gave that up. [maybe that's why I like Miles Davis? -a random note, I'm listening to Davis live @ the Fillmore as I type this]. So trumpet was first, then guitar. That would be the only "formal" lessons on instruments I would get. I have what has been called "an ear for sound". My Grandfather had it. He tuned pianos by ear. My Mother has it. She could play anything she could hear. She heard a friend play the keyboard parts for "Jump" by Van Halen, She learned it in minutes. She could play theme songs to her favorite shows. She even learned the theme to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I have it. I have mostly used it with regard to my voice. Accents, some think I can sing like anyone.[anyone I like, anyway] Many have heard me do voices. I learned the theme to Deep Space Nine years ago [on guitar]. Since I have an ear, I have toyed with bass, piano [Mom's when they weren't home], & keyboard. Over the years I've come to realize that instrument or band [or artist] I like unique ...everything. I like to think my friends are unique [they'd just say "Unique is polite for weird"]. So I've been doing this on Pinterest, I thought I'd do it here. So here is a snippet of some of the well known & obscure bands that I have liked...
Miles Davis Live @ the Fillmore [old version,not the newly re-released full version],
[more "subdued Miles"] In A Silent Way
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones 
Rush - Mission, Fly by night, Alien Shore
Spock's Beard - Skin, Good-bye to yesterday, At the end of the Day, June
Ingrid Michaelson - This War, Blood Brothers, The way I am
U2 - Ordinary Love [acoustic], Invisible  
King's X - We were Born to be Loved


ok...I'm going to stop for now. So many different songs, bands.... Over The Rhine, The Call, Phish, Umphrey's McGee, Plumb, JJ Heller, The Beatles, Bearcat, The Who, Boston, ...

Well...
I really should go.
May His grace drip from your fingers,
B

No comments: