Wednesday, April 11, 2012

a song & an origin

Don't know if I ever posted this before [sorry if I did]. As a segway into... several paths I might take moving toward the end of the month. I'm going to post a poetic song to/ about Jesus. Over the Rhine is a band that ..."fuels" my poetry bug. This song is the title song of the first disc I picked up by them. Mick & I have been hooked ever since.

The Trumpet Child
The trumpet child
will blow his horn
Will blast
the sky
till it’s reborn
With Gabriel’s power
and Satchmo’s grace
He will
surprise
the human race

The trumpet he
will use to blow
Is being fashioned
out of fire
The mouthpiece
is
a glowing coal
The bell
a burst
of wild desire

The trumpet child
will riff on love
Thelonious notes
from up above
He’ll improvise
a kingdom come
Accompanied by
a different drum

The trumpet child
will banquet here
Until the lost
are truly found
A thousand days,
a thousand years
Nobody knows
for sure
how long

The rich forget
about their gold
The meek and mild
are strangely bold
A lion lies
beside a lamb
And licks
a murderer’s
outstretched hand

The trumpet child
will lift a glass
His bride now leaning
in at last
His
final aim
to fill with joy
The earth
that man
all but destroyed

I once wondered how on Earth I ended up writing poetry. I'm not exposed to it. I didn't own any. ...or so I thought. Then I realized...
Rush - Red Barchetta & Jacob's Ladder
U2 - A sort of Homecoming, Running to Stand still, One Tree Hill,...
The Choir - Tear for Tear, Merciful Eyes
The 77's - I could Laugh, Frames Without Photographs
Michael Roe - Smile, Hold Dearly to Me
[I could go on]
Then I remember taking a notebook to Creation & asking a drummer friend if he thought what I'd written was songs or song worthy. "Um, maybe. It actually reads like poetry to me." "Oh", I said. Very dejected. Funny how things work out.
I kinda want to stray away from music for a while. Don't know if that'll happen. especially if I go a certain direction I've thought of going here.
Well, I should go for now...
stay tuned?
B

No comments: