Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The ENT [a longer explaination]

I went, disc in hand, to see the ENT. [The disc had my Head CT's on it.] It was a bit weird, as well as extremely wild, to watch my doctor use a laptop to scroll though [starting at my face & scrolling -strolling?- through to the back of my skull]. For the squeamish, it wasn't in color. It was an x-ray, black & white. Black is what we were hoping for. Showing unblocked sinuses. My right side is totally solid, save for the sinus above/ behind my eyebrow. My right eye seems to tear up periodically. I assume it is because of this, as well as because of my allergies. Which add to the mess. I'm kind of self conscious about it, to be honest.
So I'm on Prednisone, & Avalox. The Prednisone is a "flu type" regimen. 4 a day for 2 days, 3 a day for 2 or 3 days, then 2 a day, then -you get the picture. For 10 days. The Avalox is one a day for 14.
Side effects... Any Ray Stevens fans out there? "doctor doctor, have mercy on me. Doctor your cure, is worse than my disease. Practice of medicine is a must.... but, must you always practice on us?" a few lines later... "...practice, practice, 'till you get it right".
I'm also reminded of a Frazz cartoon. Where one of the young students gets a small scrape on the monkey bars. The student asks "will I get addicted to vitamins?" "...Vicodine? No."
Where was I? oh, yes... side effects. Trouble sleeping, water retention, puffiness, ... the list goes on -far too long for my tastes. Oh, & did I mention these are for each type of pill?!? So, yeah, don't worry... I haven't even shared the worst ones. [but I am one to monitor myself rather well. So I'm trying to keep them in the back of my head. Without manufacturing the symptoms because I read them, & it seems more than a little ironic that I'm reading them near Halloween.]
The plan, as it stands:
is to use the med.'s.
Another Head CT [to see where we are at]
And to then decide if I need surgery. He thinks I will. As only one side is blocked.

The surgery would be outpatient. They would snake up my nose, if they can, & remove any "growths" that are hindering the normal flow of things. Or cut under my lip [inside my mouth] & go up through that way.
The downside is: no heavy lifting for a couple of weeks. No exercising. Possibility of nose bleeds that I'd need to go to the ER for. [but they would be for the first week or 2]

So, there you have it.

Being able to see all that in the scans, was just amazing. The more I learn about the engineering of humans, the more fascinating God becomes. To have made people so complex is so very captivating. Technology has a similar effect. We humans make computers for various tasks, yet we ourselves were made by loving hands. Computers work & talk to each other in a "binary language". A language that consists of 2 symbols a 1 or a 0. All of this... blog, windows, etc. all are created using a binary language... the human, English language consists of 26 symbols for the construction of words. And 10 symbols representing value or quantity.
Which makes me wonder...
How many symbols are in God's alphabet?
I love the verse that speaks of this:

Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.
Romans 8:26-28 [The Message]

This has been a helpful verse for me over the past couple of years. As I have said to a few close friends: "I'll tell you [or email you] later, when I can put it into English." Sometimes, both good things & bad, can be "beyond human language". I feel a need for a language not yet given to me. A language that the current body & mind I posses, is incapable of speaking. [perhaps a language that has yet to be born?] Truthfully, though, the last sentence can be hard [in dark times] to not look at as "really cheesy". But it is accurately written, "That's why we can be so sure..." can be... not "are", can be. I must admit, I'm certainly not always so sure. You bored up there?? My life not interesting enough for ya? or perhaps: yeah, I'm awake. I'm still here.

I'm searching for a drawing I made [in "other news"]...
I'm going to conclude with a quote, & the verse the drawing is based on...

He heals the broken hearted, and binds up their wounds.

Psalm 147:3

I know God too well to be mad at Him, but not well enough to know what He’s doing.

B

No comments: