Friday, May 16, 2014

Because You Are

Because You Are
it
was never about
were you came from
it
was never about
where you
or I
think or thought
you were/are going
It’s not about
who you became
or will become
it’s about
loving you
because you are
you exist
”just be & breathe”
Mom always said
and
that’s why
because you do
we all need
to be loved
not because we are funny
not because we are serious
not because we are artistic
not because we are strong
not because we are intelligent
not because we are wise
not even because we are a good friend
no
because we are.
that’s all
which brings me to Jamie
I hear his voice
over & over
”we’re probably more loved
than we’ll ever know”
thanks, Jamie
for reminding us
just
don’t
forget
that you’re loved
because you are

 by b.e. noll
 

This sort of came from reading a post by Michael Gungor. About his new born daughter. The joy & the sorrow. ...ever since Mare lost her twins... I don't pray the same way about children. When I hear someone is pregnant [like Mick's friend Lauren right now] I pray for health for mother & child. So much can happen. Death is merely one possibility. I used to think that if a gal got pregnant that she HAD to have the child & the child would be healthy, live a long life. When Mare lost her twins it was such a cruel reality. Not that I hadn't already been "formally introduced" to the cruelty of life, mind you. This was just a whole new wrinkle. [that's for those of you who were tired of the old one] There are so many things that can happen in our lives that can rob us of a feeling of value. I guess that's why so many of my poems are about loving/ being loved "just the way you are". We all need people who love us outside of a reason. I'm reminded of a group of friends. We all joked about calling one of them "THE [their first & last name]". As I've gotten to write/ talk to some people who are famous in one circle or another, I think back to that. I wrote to Plumb once. And she wrote back. I've been able to meet many musicians. [Rich Mullins, Bryan Duncan, Steve Taylor, King's X, Adrian Belew, P.F.R., Guradian -so many times they would say high to me & 2 friends whenever they saw us, Iona,...] As well as meeting people like Renee Yohe & Jamie Tworkowski. Sometime along the way I remembered & thought "I do not want to treat these people like they are 'THE whoever they are'. I want to treat them like a good friend. As a valuable person, in spite of whatever fame they have."

In another way, from the opposite direction. It is nice to be treated [if you've never been "famous"] like you ARE somebody. To have people who treat you like a "wow person". 
I, myself, have had this a few times & I never handle it right. EVER. I'm so bad at it that we have to create a new catagory for it. ["taking 'suck' to a whole new level"] If you do this for someone, don't take it personal if they are a "fish out of water" with it. Some of us just do not know what to do when we become the center of attention. We just sheepishly grin [& begin looking for the exits]. I can phychoanalyze this, but I won't. 
No matter where you're at, deep down.....like it or not, we all need to be loved by someone. To be valued. We become horrible things when we aren't. Which brings me back to the quote from Jamie. Every so often I hear him saying it. I can picture the video it's from. [one of the many youtube videos you can see of Jamie's talks/interviews.]
"We're probably more loved than we'll ever know." - Jamie Tworkowski

Well, I'm off. To write some more, sleep some, & to begin to sort the plethora of poems I have printed out into, perhaps, catagories or themes. 

May His grace drip from your fingers,
B

No comments: