Wednesday, March 27, 2013

thoughts on Holy Week

So, as we walk through this week.... holy week.... the "week of the cross".... I tend to reflect on how powerful Jesus is. You might think of that on Easter Sun. rather than during this week, or on Fri.
I cannot get over his calmness as he stands before these people that he put/ allowed to be in power over the land. The land that he created. He's mostly silent as the trial plays out. The voice that spoke & said:
“Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day." -Genesis 1:3-5
This same voice said nothing. The ability to hold his tongue, to mind his speech greatly impresses me. What you have is not nearly as important as what you do with it. [or in this case, don't do]
I'm held still by the account of John [19:30]

"When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."

...he bowed his head & gave up his spirit. No one took it from him. Even death itself cannot steal from God. Even death obeys God. 
I had an interesting conversation with a man [might have had it twice, 2 different guys]
"If Jesus was really God, why couldn't he save himself?" A fair question that even the Pharisees asked. I tend to see it this way...
"Who said he couldn't save himself?" See... this leads to a gripping moment... if he couldn't save himself then he's just a victim. If he could save himself then we must ask... why he didn't. To borrow, slightly, from The Matrix: "oh, what's really gonna bake your noodle later on is..." if he saved himself, he wouldn't have saved anyone else. This is love.
"don't take money, don't take fame, don't need no credit card to ride this train, strong & it's sudden, & it can be, cruel sometimes, but it might just save your life...that's the power of love."
-Power of love by Huey Lewis & the news

I see things Jesus said being true in his life. In this week.
#1. Matt. 20:16 "So the last will be first & the first will be last."
-Jesus
I have been told the fall of Satan was recorded in Isaiah 14: 12-15
Though as you read the whole chapter it does not seem to play out that way. I will still use it here as Satan's pride has always been the reason for his chosen fate. In these verses it states that he planned to: "“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will raise my throne
    above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
    on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.
I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
    I will make myself like the Most High.” [12-14]
...or "I will be first"...
Jesus came here stretched out his arms & died. 
effectively saying "I will be last".
And so, the last became first & the first will be dead last.
#2. Jesus said: "he who seeks to save his life will loose it. And He who looses his life for my sake will find it." - Matt 16:25
This makes me think about the fact that Jesus heals us of our wounds...but keeps his. He gave up his life for The Father's sake...for us...& keeps it for eternity.
Chris Tomlin sings it quite well...
"This is the one we have waited for,
Jesus
Lord & Savior
THIS
is our God..."

My Mother has a saying:
"Love talked about is easily cast aside,
Love demonstrated cannot be denied."
Here is a link to a story of a girl & her struggle with self-injury...
& her crying to God over Jesus' sacrifice:
Only Once [at least read the 4th paragraph, from whence the title comes]
I love the statement someone said years ago. [this isn't a direct quote, but the jist is there]
When God wanted the Israelites out of Egypt,
He sent Moses.
When God wanted the walls of Jericho to fall,
He sent Joshua.
When God wanted us to be free from sin, to enter Heaven,
He came & died, & rose again.
He didn't "farm" it out to someone else.
[yeah, you're that important to Him]

You came
you let me hate you
you let me rebel against you
you let me spit on you
you
let me
place
my sin
my failure
my brokenness
upon you
then you
gave me
a place in your kingdom
you
will let me
live
in your house
forever
Thank you
Jesus
for not being fair

have a blessed week & Easter,
b.e. noll

No comments: