Wednesday, July 18, 2012

an annoying silence

The war of silence

Silence
the deafening  
of no sound
where there should have been one
it’s slow crumbling of what was
of what could be
so easy it is
to simply not make a sound
without thought
yet having much after thought
the silence
screaming at me
from it’s momentary epicenter
and the question
why?
why did you not speak?
ok… so you do not agree with some people
Is this news?
some hurt you
yes, still
why
hurt
them?
is this becoming
who you were designed to be?
I didn’t think so
so stop your self righteous silence
and live
be alive
the way life was meant to be
don’t be a criminal
a villain
in your own story
after all
has anyone ever started a war
by saying hello?
can you at least acknowledge
everyone you meet?
Can you live in peace
with people who may not be at peace with you
or with your choices?
stances?
try

silence
sometimes silence is a good thing. I often need silence. This is why I often go to a park & walk alone. Silence helps me listen to the most powerful & the quietest voice.
however... about 2 months ago, I was silent. I can't get over it. It just bugs me to death.
"Why?" you ask. Because I was looking someone in the face & I just didn't say anything. I didn't acknowledge them in any way [except to keep from running them over]. I keep hearing things like what a gal I was friends with in high school would have said: "Well, that was mature." So this poem is really written to me. In my group we're studying James. 

James 2:12 & 13
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

This is great to read... however, it would probably be better to live. ...& I didn't. 
I had a conversation about Bible translations a few weeks ago. With a friend, my Mother & Father. Which I somehow ended up saying something like: "it's not that the different translations make it easier to read. The Bible is fairly easy to read, it's just hard to live."
Which comes from this written in my Mother's old Bible: 
"knowing what to do must be translated into doing what you know."


sincerely, 
your not even close to perfect friend,
B
[photo from my back porch @ sunset a few days ago]

No comments: